Lori Heise played a leading role in getting gender violence onto the international health agenda. As founding director of the Global Campaign for Microbicides, she focused global attention on women’s options for HIV protection. At the LSHTM, Heise teaches Ethics, Global Justice and Health. Among other research, she leads a team of epidemiologists investigating partner violence.
Lori Heise has founded and led three NGOs:
- Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE),
- International Research Network on Violence Against Women and
- Global Campaign for Microbicides, engaging 350 organizations worldwide.
She has designed, led and evaluated research and interventions including:
- the WHO Multi-country Study on Women’s Health and Domestic Violence; 24,000 women in 15 sites,
- an ethics study on care and prevention for women in HIV trials,
- Microbicides Media and Communications Initiative; 20+ clinical trials in Africa and
- an eight-country, multi-sector intervention to combat domestic violence in Latin America and Africa.
Linking research and advocacy, Heise has served as policy advisor to numerous bodies including WHO and UNAIDS. She received PATH’s award for excellence in HIV prevention (2008) and the American Social Health Association’s award for excellence in advocacy (2001). Ms. Magazine named her one of the “50 women who made a difference” in 2003.
Ellsberg M., Heise, L., Researching Violence Against Women: A Practical Guide for Researchers and Activists, WHO and PATH (Program for Appropriate Technology in Health), 2005
Robinson E, Baron D, Heise L., Handbook for Clinical Trials Communication: Strategies, tips and tools to manage controversy, convey your message and disseminate results. Research Triangle Park, NC: Family Health International, 2010
Heise L, Watts C, Foss A, Hayes R, Trussel J, McCormack S Apples and Oranges? Interpreting success in HIV prevention trials. Contraception 2011 Jan; 83 (1) Download from STRIVE Resources.
Ellsberg M, Jansen HA, Heise L, Watts CH, Garcia Moreno Intimate partner violence and women’s physical and mental health in the WHO Multicounty study on health and domestic violence: an observational Study. The Lancet 2008 Apr 5; 371:1165-72
Garcia-Moreno C, Heise L, Jansen H, Ellsberg M, Watts CH (2005) Violence Against Women Science 25/11/2005